Position Title: Early Childhood Education Specialist
Supervisor: Director of Early Childhood Education
McWane Science Center counts on the Early Childhood Education Specialist to develop and present age appropriate programs and activities for our earliest learners. This includes public and reserved school group programs, teacher training, home school labs and summer and holiday camp programming that emphasizes interactive learning that children enjoy and parents value.
Accountabilities and Major Duties:
- Develop, revise, evaluate, and present hands-on, informal educational programs; including public and reserved programming, birthday parties, home school classes, camps, outreaches, etc.
- Train teachers on inquiry based teaching methods and the process of connecting visits to McWane Science Center/Itty Bitty Magic City (IBMC) to early childhood development and classroom planning.
- Welcome, engage and interact with visitors in Itty Bitty Magic City with enthusiasm and in a friendly manner.
- Engage in facilitation within exhibit areas in IBMC with families and school groups.
- Assist in the daily opening and closing of IBMC.
- Recognize and respond to the needs of children using developmentally appropriate techniques.
- Cover shifts at the High Cycle, Shark and Ray Touch Tank, Slide, etc.
- Present information at local, regional and national trainings, seminars, workshops and conferences as assigned.
- Be proactive in monitoring and restaging Itty Bitty Magic City for safety and cleanliness.
- Assess and purchase (with approval from supervisor) supplies.
- Serve as mentor to new employees for training and development
- Assist with the care of the animals in our educational animal collection, which includes feeding, cleaning, and animal handling.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, education, or related field.
- Experience with working with children under the age of 6.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Knowledge of good customer service principles, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of peoples from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be a self-directed, creative problem solver with excellent follow-through.
- Must be comfortable leading presentations and interacting in a group setting; sense of humor and level-head in a chaotic environment.
- Proven computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point.
- Ability to engage with children and adults in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner.
- Experience in presentation of informal science programs preferred.
- Ability to interpret and communicate science and other applicable concepts.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
- Sit/stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Lift objects frequently in performing the work (10-20 lbs. frequently, and up to 75 pounds occasionally).
- Pull or push objects on a regular basis (50 lbs.).
- Grasp object utilizing the fingers.
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Hearing and visual acuity.
- Exposure to chemicals, fumes and vapors that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
Deadline to apply: February 17, 2017
Please forward letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to McWane Science Center Human Resources at [email protected] or fax 205-714-8400.