JOB ANNOUNCEMENT AND DESCRIPTION
Release Date: July 5, 2016 – Deadline: July 31, 2016
Alabama Nature Center – Director of School Programs
EMPLOYER: Alabama Wildlife Federation
POSITION TYPE: Full Time with Benefits
POSITION LOCATION: Alabama Nature Center – Millbrook, Alabama
BACKGROUND: The Alabama Wildlife Federation (AWF) is a 501c3 charity and the state’s oldest and largest citizen’s conservation organization. AWF’s mission is to promote the wise use and responsible stewardship of Alabama’s wildlife, forests, fish, waters, and soils. This is accomplished through programs and projects in three primary focus areas: Conservation Education, Resource Stewardship, and Hunting and Angling Heritage. Since 2000, the AWF Board of Directors has raised more than $10 Million dollars to relocate our state headquarters to 350 acres known as Lanark, develop the Alabama Nature Center, and expand our Conservation Education and Resource Stewardship programs. Phase I of the Alabama Nature Center, including 5 miles of boardwalks/trails and the 7,200 square foot Lanark Pavilion was completed and opened in 2007. In September of 2015, Phase II of the Alabama Nature Center, The NaturePlex, was completed and opened. This 23,000 square foot Welcome and Education Center contains a Hands-on Discovery Hall, Theater/Auditorium, Classrooms with lab facilities, and has allowed AWF to dramatically expand our programs and impact through the Alabama Nature Center. Since 2007, over 150,000 people have visited our facilities at Lanark and the Alabama Nature Center. Programming at the Alabama Nature Center includes outdoor-based field trips for public, private and home schools; Summer and Spring Day Camps, along with self-guided and naturalist-led programs for the general public. Our facilities are also available for meeting/event rentals when it does not conflict with our primary conservation education activities.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Alabama Nature Center Director of School Programs will lead the development, management, and delivery of all school-based programs, both on-site and off-site. This will include procurement, training, scheduling, and management of a year-round, part-time School Programs Assistant and seasonal and part-time naturalists that assist with delivery of school-based programs. The position will report to the AWF Executive Director and will work hand-in-hand with the Alabama Nature Center Staff Team.
DUTIES: Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Implement existing and design new outdoor-based activities for all school-based programs, including activities correlated to the Alabama Course of Study
- Maintain existing/grow new relationships with educators/partners that support school-based programs
- Procure/train/schedule/manage part-time, school-based program naturalists
- Communicate by phone and email with educators to design and schedule field trip activities
- Track and prepare reports, including budgets and program statistics, related to all school-based programs
- B.S.Degree or higher in natural resources,natural sciences,and/or education fields – joint degrees/training in natural resource/science and education fields a plus
- Demonstrated ability to plan ahead, be organized, yet capable of adjusting to meet changing circumstances with limited notice
- Demonstrated ability to fluidly form relationships with a wide range of people
- Demonstrated written and enthusiastic oral communication skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team
- Knowledge of the education process
- Commitment to wildlife and related natural resource conservation and the goals and purposes of the Alabama Wildlife Federation
- Starting Salary: $38,000 – $42,000 commensurate with education and experience
- Meal and lodging expenses covered for travel when required (minimal)
- Business use of personal vehicle reimbursed at the federal mileage rate
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health and Dental Insurance; Life Insurance; Short and Long-TermDisability Insurance.
- Simple IRA Plan upon qualification
Send via email, a one-page letter of application along with a resume to: Tim L. Gothard, Executive Director Phone: (334)285-4550
Alabama Wildlife Federation Email: [email protected]
Questions and or requests for additional information should be directed to Tim L. Gothard, AWF Executive Director, through the appropriate contact methods provided above.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION SUBMITTALS: July 31, 2016