Position Title: Educator
Status: Part-Time/Non-Exempt (up to 28 hours per week)
Supervisor: Manager of Science Education
McWane Science Center counts on the part-time Educator to engage visitors in programs, classes, demonstrations, and activities in an enthusiastic, accurate, and interactive manner. Additionally, the Educator develops and implements home school labs and summer and holiday camp programming that emphasizes interactive science learning that campers enjoy and parents value. This position is also responsible for assisting with the care of the animals in our educational animal collection which includes feeding, cleaning and animal handling. The position may also support community outreach programs outside of the facility.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Possess or be working towards a Bachelor’s degree in science, education or related field.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of good customer service principles, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of peoples from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be a self-directed, creative problem solver with excellent follow-through.
- Must be comfortable leading presentations and interacting in a group setting; sense of humor and level-head in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to engage with children and adults in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner.
- Experience in presentation of informal science programs preferred.
- Ability to interpret and communicate science concepts.
- Must be able and willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications:
- Sit/stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Lift objects frequently in performing the work (10-20 lbs. frequently).
- Pull or push objects on a regular basis (50 lbs.).
- Grasp object utilizing the fingers.
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Hearing and visual acuity.
- Exposure to chemicals, fumes and vapors that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
Please forward letter of interest, resume and salary requirement to McWane Science Center Human Resources at [email protected] or fax to 205-714-8400.